In 2012, Animal Planet went out with a bang and enters the New Year with a spark as the year-end, two-hour FINDING BIGFOOT premiere, “Australian Yowie,” delivered 1.5M P2+ viewers, 37% higher than the season-to-date average.
The network achieved its most-watched year in network history in prime among HH (476K), P25-54 (292K), P18-49 (269K) and M25-54 (157K). Animal Planet also posted its most-watched year ever in total day among P2+ viewers (434K), HH (342K), P25-54 (190K), P18-49 (181K) and M25-54 (95K).
Animal Planet ranks among the top-three, fastest-growing, fully distributed cable networks in 2012 vs. 2011 based on P25-54 and M25-54 deliveries (+17% and +23%, respectively). The network places among the top 20 cable networks for M25-54, up 17 slots from 2008 (#37).
There were many standout performances in 2012 among series, specials and stunts. Eight programs delivered at least 1M P2+ viewers this past year, including RIVER MONSTERS, FINDING BIGFOOT, CALL OF THE WILDMAN, TANKED, MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND, GATOR BOYS, TOO CUTE! and MY CAT FROM HELL. Highlights are as follows:
· RIVER MONSTERS remains Animal Planet’s top-performing series of all time. The season four premieres delivered 1.5M P2+ viewers, and 1.8M P2+ viewers watched the season four premiere, “American Killers,” making it the most-watched debut in network history.
· FINDING BIGFOOT ranks among the network’s top-three-performing series of all time among P25-54. Overall, the current season delivered 1.2M P2+ viewers.
· CALL OF THE WILDMAN ranks among the top three Animal Planet series YTD based on P2+ delivery and exceeded its 2011 premiere levels by 54%.
· MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND delivered nearly 2M P2+ viewers (1.96M), making it the most-watched Animal Planet telecast since the September 2006. Across the 2012 airings on both Animal Planet and Discovery Channel, MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND has drawn in 32M unique P2+ viewers.
· Animal Planet’s first-ever MONSTER WEEK programming stunt scored the network its most-watched week since 2003 in prime among P25-54 (406K), M25-54 (234K) and P18-49 (378K). The stunt nabbed Animal Planet its best week in history in total day among P2+ (467K) and P25-54 (214K).
Source: Animal Planet press release, 1/3/13